Présidents: Pierre Massot & Muriel Morel-Pecheux
Jurisprudence relative aux inventions de salariés – Regards sur les VIE
Le 22 janvier 2020 eu lieu la réunion de la Commission inventions de salariés de l’APEB.
Cet évènement a traité des problématiques d’inventions réalisées dans le cadre de VIE. Cette conférence organisée un matin a rassemblé une vingtaine de personnes. [/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]
How should companies identify inventors for their patent applications under French, German, and US law
March 29, 2018 Jérôme TASSI, Dr. Martin KÖHLER, and Edwin D. GARLEPP offered us a quick review of the applicable law regarding inventorship designation under French, German and US law.
Despite the lack of legal definition, each country has its own criteria to determine who is the inventor. Indeed, to have a patent right one should prove he has;
- Played an active role at the stages of formalization, technical development and finalization of the invention (French law);
- A creative contribution to the invention as disclosed in the patent application (German law);
- A definite and permanent idea of the complete and operative invention (US law).
What is more, a wrong inventorship has no legal consequences under French law. Whereas it can be a ground of revocation or invalidation under German (fraudulent abstraction) and US Law.
In any case, if a patent application does not correctly identity an inventor, management issues and financial consequences may arise.
To prevent these risks, some practical guidance might be useful.
- Keep good records (laboratory notebook, R&D agreement, …)
- In France, for instance, establish a declaration of invention
- In Germany, a proper handling of requirements of the German Employee Inventor Act (timeline, formalities) and a coherent company policy for remuneration should be established.
- In the US, because there is no rule concerning legal transfer of property between employer and employee, the wording of employment agreement and their wording are very important (hereby assign).[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]